HSX Forum

Movies

Theatre Report: [FUNYP]

Posted by: emoticripple (a.k.a FiniteMike) on Aug 03, 08:48

Showing: Sunday, 8/2, 6:50 p.m.

Location: Cinema DeLux Stonybrook, Louisville, KY

Crowd: ~75/400

Trailers: [DESME] Big reaction (from me, at least).

[CPLRT] A few laughes, nothing overwhelming.

[EXTRC] Big laughs; can't wait for this one.

[GAMER] This looks a lot better than I would have expected, but the trailers for TERM4 were also phenomenal, so I'm going to remind myself that this is essentially a video game action movie starring Gerard Butler and Ludacris and go back to not caring about it.

[WDSTK] OMGWTF LSCHR in a dress. Can I go ahead and pay them now?

Synopsis: ASAND plays an analogue of ASAND, an enormously successful comedian-turned-movie star; SROGE, JSCHW, and JHILL are young comedians trying to jump-start their careers; LMANN is ASAND's lost love. Grueling personal drama interspersed with stand-up and bad decisions.

Review: This is not the movie you think it is. JAPAT has assembled a terrific and terrifically likeable cast, and then propels through a serious of events and decisions tooled to encourage you not to like them. Playing on the old trope of the crying clown, [FUNYP] juxtaposes the work and public/stage personas of comedians and celebrities of all stripes against their natural inclinations toward betrayal, self-destruction and generally unsympathetic, decidedly un-funny behavior. Which is to say, they are much like me, you and everyone we know, just with more money and sharper writing.

FUNYP is a strong film that sticks to its guns, crafting the happiest endings it can manage for deeply flawed people. It does feel longish in places, no question, but I can't imagine what could or should be cut. This is the story Apatow wanted to tell, and he tells it all. You will not like it all, but will, I think, ultimately be glad you experienced it. No one in this film is as endearing as you will remember them from their other work; this is simply not that movie. However, I believe that everyone involved (with the exception of JSCHW, whom I love but who appeared to be in his own little movie wholly apart from everyone else) is turning in the best work they have done to date.

So, a talented director and a great cast take on an honest if not uplifting or necessarily "new" story, and everybody wins except the studio. The cameos are a hoot, and a great life-preserver for those treading water through the film's more dramatic passages. The music (also credited in part to JSCHW) is rich and atmospheric without being too showy which, I think, is the most apt description I can muster for the film as a whole. I liked and would recommend FUNYP; YMMV.

Overall grade: B.

Snacks: Smirnov and McDonald's.

 

 


Tag(s): FUNYP, DESME, CPLRT, EXTRC, GAMER, WDSTK





Post a Reply

To post to the forums you must first login!


Ali G: Who Iz I? - Opening Weeke (ALIG2.OW) 100000 5.00 (0.00)          The Night House (NITHS) 150000 8.00 (0.00)          Obey (OBEY) 150000 19.17 (+2.07)          Obey (OBEY) 150000 19.17 (+2.07)          Death Stranding (DSTRN) 150000 19.84 (+0.73)          Death Stranding (DSTRN) 150000 19.84 (+0.73)          The Social Reckoning (SOCI2) 120000 29.94 (-2.80)          The Night House (NITHS) 150000 8.00 (0.00)          Sarah Silverman (SSILV) 25000 50.88 (-0.16)          Clayface H$25 Put (CLAYF.PU) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Klara and the Sun H$10 Put (KLARA.PU) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Wildwood H$10 Call (WILDW.CA) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Klara and the Sun H$10 Call (KLARA.CA) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Clayface H$25 Call (CLAYF.CA) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Clayface - Opening Weekend (CLAYF.OW) 100000 25.00 (0.00)          Julia Louis-Dreyfus (JLOUI) 25000 98.06 (-0.75)          Klara and the Sun - Opening Week (KLARA.OW) 100000 10.00 (0.00)          Wildwood - Opening Weekend (WILDW.OW) 100000 10.00 (0.00)          Ali G: Who Iz I? - Opening Weeke (ALIG2.OW) 100000 5.00 (0.00)          The Matrix 5 (MTRX5) 150000 29.63 (+0.90)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 40000 32.39 (-0.11)          Wildwood H$10 Put (WILDW.PU) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Wildwood - Opening Weekend (WILDW.OW) 100000 10.00 (0.00)          Wildwood H$10 Call (WILDW.CA) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Klara and the Sun H$10 Put (KLARA.PU) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Klara and the Sun - Opening Week (KLARA.OW) 100000 10.00 (0.00)          Klara and the Sun H$10 Call (KLARA.CA) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Clayface H$25 Put (CLAYF.PU) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Clayface - Opening Weekend (CLAYF.OW) 100000 25.00 (0.00)          Clayface H$25 Call (CLAYF.CA) 25000 2.00 (0.00)          Ali G: Who Iz I? - Opening Weeke (ALIG2.OW) 100000 5.00 (0.00)          The Night House (NITHS) 150000 8.00 (0.00)          Oceans (OCEN5) 1 74.62 (+0.18)          Doppelganger (DPLGN) 143805 62.24 (+0.38)          Doppelganger (DPLGN) 143895 62.24 (+0.38)          Elden Ring (ELDEN) 2 67.81 (+0.14)          Elden Ring (ELDEN) 1000 67.81 (+0.14)          Seasons (SEASN) 150000 31.05 (+0.18)          Treasure Island (TISLN) 150000 77.52 (+0.25)          The Resurrection of the Christ (RESUR) 2 189.12 (0.00)          Grandgear (GGEAR) 7000 52.31 (-0.10)          Grandgear (GGEAR) 8000 52.31 (-0.10)          Game of Thrones: Aegon’s Conqu (GOTAC) 150000 134.88 (+0.26)          Freddy the 13th (FREDY) 150000 56.26 (+0.15)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 150000 32.39 (-0.11)          Godzilla x Kong: Supernova (GOKO3) 1004 165.86 (-0.33)          Spaceballs: The New One (SPCB2) 1 149.25 (-0.67)          Wildwood (WILDW) 50000 27.37 (+1.50)          Wildwood (WILDW) 50000 27.37 (+1.50)          The Secret Life of Pets 3 (PETS3) 16000 96.41 (-0.08)