HSX Forum

Movies

also talks about PRTND

Posted by: Antibody on Dec 15, 10:09 in response to Antibody's post CSW: Josh Boone on Revival "we attached Russell...

I was friendly with James because he was attached to play Larry Underwood in The Stand. He asked to read it, and said he wanted to make it.

The thing that’s funny is that when you write a movie and direct it, you see it so many times by the time the movie comes out you never want to see it again. I thought it would be nice if Franco directed the movie and I could just watch something I wrote and enjoy it! [Laughs]

He was very lucky and got a great cast, including Jane Levy, Shameik Moore, Jack Kilmer, and Juno Temple.

Funny enough, on the set of my first movie I pitched it to Logan Lehrman, who is a buddy of mine. We talked about it for a while, but I didn’t end up making it with him. But he and Imogen Poots were both instrumental during scripting in that their thoughts are in there as well from conversations that we had.

It takes place over a decade and is sort of inspired by Carnal Knowledge. Jack Nicholson is one of my favorite actors, because when I was a kid my dad had all these movies on Beta like Carnal Knowledge and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

I even remember watching Heartburn and thinking, “Eh, this one isn’t great.” But I loved Carnal Knowledge, and I always wanted to write something in the same vein about two guys and their relationship with a girl over the course of a long period of time.

It has to do with how the male gaze in film, art, and photography morphs women into something that they’re actually not. It’s interesting, weird, and complicated, and I think James shot the first act in black and white. It looks great, the performances are really good, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes together.





Post a Reply

To post to the forums you must first login!


Top Gun 3 (TOPG3) 1 168.47 (-0.43)          Top Gun 3 (TOPG3) 1 168.47 (-0.43)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 3 31.86 (-0.49)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 3 31.86 (-0.49)          The Rule of Three (RULO3) 150000 15.00 (0.00)          Doctor Strange 3 (DRST3) 1 70.67 (+1.71)          Doctor Strange 3 (DRST3) 1 70.67 (+1.71)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 2 18.43 (+0.91)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 2 18.43 (+0.91)          Old Friends New Friends (OFNF) 2 11.47 (+0.86)          Old Friends New Friends (OFNF) 2 11.47 (+0.86)          Lilo & Stitch 2 (LILS2) 3 284.10 (+1.50)          Lilo & Stitch 2 (LILS2) 3 284.10 (+1.50)          Whalefall (WHALF) 3 27.52 (+1.15)          Whalefall (WHALF) 150000 27.52 (+1.15)          Nasty (NASTY) 1 12.06 (+1.32)          Nasty (NASTY) 150000 12.06 (+1.32)          Buds (BUDS) 3 29.01 (+1.60)          Buds (BUDS) 150000 29.01 (+1.60)          Buds (BUDS) 150000 29.01 (+1.60)          The New Simpsons Movie (SIMP2) 3 169.39 (-0.48)          The Rule of Three (RULO3) 150000 15.00 (0.00)          The New Simpsons Movie (SIMP2) 3 169.39 (-0.48)          Dune: Part Three (DUNE3) 3 262.44 (-0.85)          Verity (VERTY) 150000 66.88 (-1.48)          Dune: Part Three (DUNE3) 3 262.44 (-0.85)          Verity (VERTY) 10 66.88 (-1.48)          Verity (VERTY) 10 66.88 (-1.48)          Other Mommy (IATHS) 3 57.08 (-2.02)          Other Mommy (IATHS) 3 57.08 (-2.02)          Old Friends New Friends (OFNF) 150000 11.47 (+0.86)          The Social Reckoning (SOCI2) 150000 28.16 (-1.78)          Verity (VERTY) 150000 66.88 (-1.48)          Forgotten Island (FRGIS) 127 38.34 (-0.66)          Savage Hunters aka Deathstroke & (DSTRK) 150000 42.49 (+4.62)          Savage Hunters aka Deathstroke & (DSTRK) 150000 42.49 (+4.62)          Nasty (NASTY) 1 12.06 (+1.32)          Nasty (NASTY) 150000 12.06 (+1.32)          Backrooms 2 (BACR2) 200 121.65 (+4.61)          Savage Hunters aka Deathstroke & (DSTRK) 1 42.49 (+4.62)          Savage Hunters aka Deathstroke & (DSTRK) 150000 42.49 (+4.62)          Nasty (NASTY) 4000 12.06 (+1.32)          Crazy Rich Asians 2 (CRAS2) 13000 13.00 (-3.19)          Other Mommy H$25 Put (IATHS.PU) 25000 1.77 (+0.47)          Other Mommy H$25 Put (IATHS.PU) 25000 1.77 (+0.47)          Ali G: Who Iz I? (ALIG2) 150000 15.39 (-0.59)          Ali G: Who Iz I? (ALIG2) 149999 15.39 (-0.59)          The Rule of Three (RULO3) 150000 15.00 (0.00)          Savage Hunters aka Deathstroke & (DSTRK) 15000 42.49 (+4.62)          Dreamquil (DRMQL) 150000 0.76 (-0.08)