Quick Note: The only "change" is the top two films are switching. Rest of order remains same, but I provided new anaylsis in the write-ups to remain current.
My Summer Pick 5 (Picks to win the Summer Box Office season). (Update).
1. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning- Part One.
For me it was always a two way horse race for Summer between this and Indiana Jones 5 Indy looks to have slipped up, opening up the path for Tom Cruise to claim his second Summer straight as a box office heavyweight. Early fan screenings for this film have been "lights out" good and film remains on track to post the highest franchis opening in Mission Impossible's history. Tom Cruise also still enjoys high acclaim from Summer audiences after Top Gun Maverick.
2. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
I had full faith in James Manigold and his team on this. Sadly, it appears studio interference has yet again squandered a golden oppurtunity. Early reviews have not been great, and even the "good reviews" don't speak to much excitement either. While I do feel the film can still play enough on nolstagia to remain successful this Summer, the box office crown is going to Tom Cruise.
3. Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse.
.. Yes, time for a victory lap. Not many say this breaking out as it did with a awesome 120+ million opening. I felt this film would over-perform. Super hero fatigue is definitely a thing, but this film's fresh take on the Spiderman mythos is catching on big with younger audiences. I also felt pre-sales would also be incredibly good= which happened. Look for a solid 3rd place run here, as first predicted.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3.
I can't tell you how much thought went into this, I was constant back and forth with "which makes more, this or Spiderverse for weeks. I finally gave Spidey the edge but the two films will still finish close. There's a huge advantage being the first big Summer film out the gate, as it allows a solid May run to cash in before others even open. Fast X, and The Little Mermaid also (as predicted) dropped off big in their second weeks of release. leaving more box office numbers for Guardians to seize.
5. The Flash.
.. Ah yes, upset city. This pick suprised many when first published in April, but the film's momentum continues to increase. While star Ezra Miller's arrest record will no doubt play a factor here- there's also considerable buzz around this film as being one of the best super-hero films for the year. Michael Keaton's return as Batman also boosts this film considerably with fan audiences. I predeicted a suprise top five finish here over other potential fav's like Transformers and Little Mermaid. That call remains on track.
Other notes:
Barbie does have a great chance to deliver for comedic audiences, since comedy films are so rare nowadays.
Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer is off to a solid start, as predicted, on Oscar buzz.
Have a great Summer.. HSXers....