HSX Forum

Movies

"I love the idea of putting different films together into one program. I grew up seeing double features"

Posted by: budice on Oct 26, 09:36 in response to budice's post Martin Scorsese just joined Letterboxd

I love the idea of putting different films together into one program. I grew up seeing double features, programs in repertory houses, evenings of avant-garde films in storefront theatres. You always learn something, see something in a new light, because every movie is in conversation with every other movie. The greater the difference between the pictures, the better.

Over the years, I’ve been asked to pair my own pictures with older films by other people that have inspired them. The request has come from film festivals, which present the pairings as a program. The terms “inspiration” and “influence” aren’t completely accurate. I think of them as companion films. Sometimes the relationship is based on inspiration. Sometimes it’s the relationships between the characters. Sometimes it’s the spirit of the picture. Sometimes it’s far more mysterious than that.

Martin Scorsese just joined Letterboxd budice Oct 26, 09:11

Aquaman 1 star, The Marvels 1/2 star {nm} TheWeekendWarrior Oct 26, 09:29

"I love the idea of putting different films together into one program. I grew up seeing double features" budice Oct 26, 09:36





Post a Reply

To post to the forums you must first login!


The Brigands of Rattlecreek (BRGND) 5000 22.13 (+0.02)          Animal Friends (ANFRN) 2000 52.86 (+0.05)          Angel and the Badman (ANBAD) 7500 9.81 (+0.10)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 150000 26.63 (+0.73)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 150000 18.46 (+0.62)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 150000 18.46 (+0.62)          Rode to Ruin (RODTR) 150000 13.35 (+0.96)          G.I. Joe (GIJO4) 150000 35.82 (+0.51)          Rode to Ruin (RODTR) 150000 13.35 (+0.96)          Hercules (HRCUL) 50000 15.51 (+0.73)          Rode to Ruin (RODTR) 150000 13.35 (+0.96)          Hal (HALD) 150000 6.40 (+0.84)          G.I. Joe (GIJO4) 150000 35.82 (+0.51)          Breeder (BREDR) 250 1.78 (0.00)          Homewrecker (HMWRC) 100 18.83 (0.00)          Paranormal Activity 8 (PNAC8) 10000 28.07 (-0.83)          G.I. Joe (GIJO4) 150000 35.82 (+0.51)          Fast Forever (FAF11) 150000 146.14 (-0.44)          Star Wars: Starfighter (SWAR4) 44898 284.14 (-0.32)          Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Ve (ASPD3) 2650 278.04 (+0.76)          Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Ve (ASPD3) 100000 278.04 (+0.76)          Rode to Ruin (RODTR) 150000 13.35 (+0.96)          Rode to Ruin (RODTR) 150000 13.35 (+0.96)          The Further Mis-Adventures of Cl (TAOCB) 150000 17.26 (-0.08)          Victorian Psycho (VPSYC) 150000 16.76 (-0.06)          Man of Tomorrow (SPMOT) 10000 280.94 (+0.30)          Ebenezer (EBNZR) 150000 117.20 (-0.10)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 32790 29.23 (-0.29)          Hal (HALD) 150000 6.40 (+0.84)          The Jetsons (JETSN) 8999 62.48 (+0.05)          Metal Gear Solid (MTLGR) 150000 11.72 (+0.56)          Metal Gear Solid (MTLGR) 150000 11.72 (+0.56)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 3221 26.63 (+0.73)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 9989 18.46 (+0.62)          Star Wars: Episode X (STRW1) 2512 117.06 (-0.14)          Gremlins 3 (GREM3) 6774 43.38 (-0.10)          Forgotten Island (FRGIS) 20 39.07 (0.00)          Always Lalisa (ALISA) 10 2.68 (-0.01)          Star Wars: Episode X (STRW1) 10 117.06 (-0.14)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 219 26.63 (+0.73)          Star Wars: Episode X (STRW1) 102 117.06 (-0.14)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 2999 26.63 (+0.73)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 79999 26.63 (+0.73)          Godzilla x Kong: Supernova (GOKO3) 15000 163.66 (-0.19)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 8999 26.63 (+0.73)          A Quiet Place: Part III (AQPL4) 15000 124.86 (-0.03)          Metal Gear Solid (MTLGR) 20000 11.72 (+0.56)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 9998 26.63 (+0.73)          Digger H$25 Call (DIGER.CA) 25000 0.18 (0.00)          Armor Wars (ARMWR) 21999 26.63 (+0.73)