HSX Forum

Movies

You know I was so blown away by Oldboy a couple weeks ago, I decided to go back for another helping of it today. And my goodness.....

Posted by: goodvibe61 on Sep 09, 22:42

Every viewing just reveals more and more. 

The amount of detail that was stuffed into this thing is just mind boggling. For example, today i was really focusing in on the music. And wow; nicely done. 

It seems as though NOTHING was left unexamined. The difference in age and appearance between Oh Dae Su and Woo jin? Check. It's all sussed out. The artistry in the LEVELS of despair that Oh is going to go through? Check. 

Today's screening had my thinking more and more about Jake Gittes. "You might THINK you know what you're dealing with, but believe me you DON'T". Talk about the choice of remaining an innocent...holy cow. 

I thought of that, and how sad this film is, and another Choi film (I Saw The Devil) is equally mind bending and filled with emotional despair. He really knows how to pick 'em. 

I really want to thank the AMC theater in Orange for continuing to show the film this many weeks after the reissue first came out. I spent a little extra today at the snack bar because of it. The screening was near empty; I wanted to show them the love.

This might be the last week that Oldboy plays in any kind of release; i hope you can all catch it before it goes this time. My first viewing of it so long ago now was still the best; you simply have no idea where the story is going. But subsequent viewings have really solidified this is a stand out piece of work and that Park is a brilliant artist. 

You know I was so blown away by Oldboy a couple weeks ago, I decided to go back for another helping of it today. And my goodness..... goodvibe61 Sep 09, 22:42

It's even crazier to watch knowing the twist, huh? {nm} TheWeekendWarrior Sep 10, 03:17

It's so well done, it has little impact on my overall enjoyment of repeated viewings. {nm} goodvibe61 Sep 10, 10:03





Post a Reply

To post to the forums you must first login!


Old Friends New Friends (OFNF) 25000 8.97 (-1.03)          Emma D'Arcy (EDARC) 25000 26.75 (-0.16)          Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (AGINA) 25000 60.24 (-0.76)          Werwulf (WERWU) 20000 68.89 (+0.07)          Iron Jane (IRONJ) 150000 11.67 (+0.59)          Iron Jane (IRONJ) 150000 11.67 (+0.59)          Forgotten Island (FRGIS) 150000 37.75 (-0.53)          Forgotten Island (FRGIS) 150000 37.75 (-0.53)          Making Marie Antoinette (MAKMA) 150000 0.84 (-0.16)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 150000 29.49 (+0.97)          Elsinore (ELSNR) 150000 6.45 (-0.01)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 150000 19.19 (-1.30)          Forgotten Island (FRGIS) 150000 37.75 (-0.53)          Forgotten Island (FRGIS) 150000 37.75 (-0.53)          Hal (HALD) 150000 5.54 (-0.69)          If I Go Will They Miss Me (IGWTM) 150000 0.90 (+0.02)          Hal (HALD) 150000 5.54 (-0.69)          Making Marie Antoinette (MAKMA) 150000 0.84 (-0.16)          Old Friends New Friends (OFNF) 150000 8.97 (-1.03)          Dear You (DEARU) 150000 1.18 (+0.02)          Old Friends New Friends (OFNF) 150000 8.97 (-1.03)          Making Marie Antoinette (MAKMA) 150000 0.84 (-0.16)          Whalefall (WHALF) 150000 29.40 (-0.27)          The Families Stone (FAMS2) 150000 45.17 (+1.09)          Clayface (CLAYF) 149999 62.89 (+0.25)          Grendel (GREND) 149999 10.33 (+0.07)          Focker In-Law (MPRN4) 109030 127.71 (-0.02)          Helldivers (HELDV) 3713 99.25 (+0.08)          Blood on Snow (BLOSN) 150000 12.23 (+0.19)          Godzilla x Kong: Supernova (GOKO3) 150000 164.64 (+0.88)          How to Train Your Dragon 2 (HTTY2) 150000 210.41 (+1.32)          Star Wars: Episode X (STRW1) 10 117.59 (+0.11)          Goblin (GBLIN) 6123 21.35 (-0.02)          Fortitude (FRTUD) 50000 7.47 (-0.02)          Verity (VERTY) 150000 72.61 (+0.69)          World War Hulk (THLK2) 510 31.04 (-0.13)          G.I. Joe (GIJO4) 10 39.20 (-0.23)          Verity (VERTY) 10 72.61 (+0.69)          Monkey Quest (MNKYQ) 100 19.19 (-1.30)          10 Lives (10LIV) 10 1.45 (0.00)          Air Bud Returns (AIRB3) 10 3.31 (-0.05)          Longlegs 2 (LNLE2) 259 55.64 (0.00)          Beach Read (BCHRD) 4723 23.89 (0.00)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 3 29.49 (+0.97)          One Italian Summer (1ITAS) 3 29.49 (+0.97)          The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the (HGAM6) 3 195.43 (-0.17)          The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the (HGAM6) 3 195.43 (-0.17)          Angel and the Badman (ANBAD) 100000 9.40 (+0.01)          Sofia Coppola (SCOPP) 1 5.34 (0.00)          Sofia Coppola (SCOPP) 25000 5.34 (0.00)