That this movie is getting zero love, zero attention, people are staying away in droves. Why?
I found it fascinating. I do love F1, and the history of the 1957 Miglia is pretty well known. But still, you just need to understand the setting in terms of time (1957) to understand what appears to be some strange car related stuff going on.
This race changed the nature of open wheel racing to its core. Racing in Europe would never be the same again. Just imagine people throwing their lives on the line in a race like this, going at incredible speeds in an open ****pit.
With no seat belt. No helmet. Driving right through towns, villages, at full speed, no barriers.
Driver is so good on this. And i just want to say, I've now seen Penelope Cruz give two of the greatest female performances of the past few years, from Parallel Mothers, where she absolutely should have won an Academy Award, to now this, where she is nothing short of exceptional. You give her the role, she'll show you she's CLEARLY one of the greatest film actresses working now. It's so obvious.
One thing of interest (of many from this performance): the current front runner in supporting actress plays a very similar character. A mother, lost a son. Emotionally destroyed. One of the performances is getting all the love. After seeing this, that's an enormous disservice.
I'm really glad Mann made this and I got to see it in a theater on a LARGE screen. Truly memorable.